A candlelight fire in a thatched house in Calabar, the capital of Cross River State, resulted in the death of a one-year-old baby.
On October 9, an incident was reported in the Eta Agbor region of Calabar Municipality.
When NAN arrived in the region, the thatched house was completely destroyed by fire.
Ms Glory Etim-Akpan, the child’s mother, told NAN that her child was sick and that she walked out to a nearby pharmacy to acquire drugs and pampers for her, adding that she left the child, a newborn girl named Kate Dickson, asleep at home while the candles was blazing.
“My kid had a cough and catarrh, so I went out to get her some medications and pampers.” I lit a candle on top of a metal dish in our room before leaving the house.
“I hadn’t even gotten to the pharmacy when I got the call that our house was on fire, and I didn’t leave the house for another 30 minutes.
“Neighbors heard my kid wailing, but they couldn’t do anything about it.” When I returned, we busted down the door and discovered that my baby had already died of burns.
“I also lost all of my belongings, including my certificates.” “The fire completely destroyed my flat,” she moaned.
Her life has been broken, according to Etim-Akpan, because she has nowhere to stay, no food to eat, and no clothes to wear.