It’s the first time that’s been possible. Before, FaceTime calls could only be made between people who had an iPhone, iPad, or a Mac.
Anyone with a Windows computer or an Android phone can now join a FaceTime call that you start on your iPhone. To get them to join the call, simply send them a web link to open in a computer browser. There’s no need for everyone in your family who uses different software to use a different app.
Everyone who joins using that connection must be approved, which helps keep your call from being hijacked by uninvited guests. One thing to keep in mind: the call must be initiated from an Apple device, such as an iPhone or an iPad. However, after that, anyone can become a member.
Here’s what to do:
- Install iOS 15 if you haven’t already.
- Open FaceTime on your iPhone (or iPad).
- Tap the “Create Link” button on the top left.
- Choose how you want to send the link. You can send it via a text message, email or through any third-party messaging apps on your device, like Teams or Slack. Send it.
- You’ll see the main FaceTime screen after you’ve sent the link to a friend.
- Now tap “FaceTime Link” on the left to start the call from your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap “Join.”
- Now anyone who has the link can click it, enter their name and request to join the conversation.
- As the host, you’ll now approve anyone who wants to join by tapping a green check mark button.